What's this all about?

I'm a guy with way too many interests and way too much time on my hands. A while back I realized that I spend a lot of my time just telling people I know about the various media I consume, so I just figured what the hell, let's just lay it all out. On here, you'll see my reviews of video games, films, books, tv shows, and more, but I've also decided to upload my hobbies here as well because why not?

Pandemic Catch-Up 4: Cyberpunk-ish

It took me a while to come around to cyberpunk, and beyond cool robot appendages I didn't really get the hype behind it. It seemed very pessimistic and cynical to me, and as someone who generally veers on the optimistic and practical it didn't really appeal to me entirely. However, as a fan of science fiction, it's not beyond all hope of enjoyment for me, and over the summer I managed to get through a decent amount of cyberpunk-y media, from the arguable origin (Blade Runner) in the far future, to a newer example from perhaps within the next five years (Watch_Dogs 2).

- - -

Blade Runner (Final Cut)

Sure things suck in the future, but at least we finally got those flying cars we've been dreaming about. I do wonder how traffic works with them, congestion is probably a nightmare

This was on my list for a really long time, and I actually saw Blade Runner 2049 before setting my eyes on its prequel. I also don't know the plethora of other cuts of this film, so I'll speak for the film I saw. It probably goes without saying that this is an almost universally beloved film, and I absolutely loved it. It's a bleak and grimy look at the far future, with almost casual violence commonplace. However, what I found particularly striking about the setting was how the setting felt sensical. There's a definite feeling of purpose to the misery, that the grimy areas were only so due to their location in industrial areas. It also gave brief glimpses at class in this world, where the wealthy and powerful enjoy vistas that wouldn't be out of place in a Star Wars film, while the more blue collar (like Deckard) live in studio apartments. For me though, the real standout to the film were the sets and prop department. The sets are each magnificent to behold, not only for the effort and level of detail that went into them, but also for the smaller things, like the near-constant downpour of rain that's all real. This also extends to even the establishing shots (among the most iconic in all of cinema), which use actual physical sets with special effects thrown in, a technique utilized in 2049 as well. There was no voiceover in this cut, and I think that really helps the story, as the plot is already quite clear, and it furthermore allows the presentation of this world to overwhelm the viewer. A strong recommendation, no wonder that this film is continually returned to theaters, it's incredible.

- - -

The Running Man

Why yes, as the most wanted criminal in the future USA, I'm going to sneak through security with sunglasses and a Hawaiian shirt. It's amazing that even in this cartoonishly grim future there's no sign of the TSA.

Actually based on a book if you can believe it, The Running Man is peak Schwarzenegger camp, with one-liners, big men, and enjoyably cheesy set pieces galore. It's something that feels like it was straight out of the imagination of a nine-year-old in all the right ways (read: budget and genuine passion from all parties), with ideas that could be thought-provoking if more time was devoted to them and less to the action, much like if a kid was telling the story. This is not an insult by any means, I'm personally a big fan of these 80's action films, and while it's about as campy and ridiculous as you'd expect, it's well-made camp that's honest about what it is. Also some great sets and costumes here (even though the slayers' outfits are utter lunacy), and synth-filled soundtrack really dates this in the 80's in a good and ridiculous way. Not every film should be as serious as Schindler's List, and there's definitely room for these action-comedies in my opinion, and besides, it's better than The Fast and the Furious.

- - -

Watch_Dogs 2

The clothing customization you can do in Watch_Dogs 2 is pretty impressive, especially since your character's outfit shows up in every cinematic besides the opening. More of this please!

It interesting playing this game given that I'm from Silicon Valley, and though I personally disagree with the game's attitude towards the Bay Area as a population ignorant of the technology they rely upon (which is totally wrong in my opinion), it's got a fair bit of charm. There's sort of an overarching story to the game, but in truth the main quest is more episodes of your hacker group "sticking it to the Man" (the "Man" being anyone who so much as vaguely irritates them). The dialogue and characters are meme-filled and cringe-inducing, yet there's a certain point where they cease to be infuriating and become charming in their own way. The gameplay is pretty smooth and fluid in all honesty, and surprisingly it is entirely possible to complete the game without killing anybody while still engaging in gunfights. While there's the expected open-world collectables placed around, these aren't tied to any progression besides maybe your music app (which gains songs through another bootleg Shazam-like app as you pass by music sources), which is nice not to have it be front and center. It's certainly an interesting game, with some pretty good ideas in gameplay (though in terms of writing it could use some serious audience testing), though whether it's worth picking up is up to you. Pretty good, a more light-hearted GTA V, but the writing and dialogue will probably turn people off of it.

- - -

Probably the safest bet among these three would be without a doubt Blade Runner, which most definitely has had the largest impact of these three, though Arnie's impact on the action genre is iconic. Watch_Dogs 2 is much better than the first game, but the series still has a long way to go.

School is starting up now, so this might get a bit sporadic, but I'll try to keep these regular. Next up is The Hobbit Trilogy, which wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blackstone Fortress: Ascension

The Evil Eye

[Demo] Spark in the Dark