What's this all about?

I'm a guy with way too many interests and way too much time on my hands. A while back I realized that I spend a lot of my time just telling people I know about the various media I consume, so I just figured what the hell, let's just lay it all out. On here, you'll see my reviews of video games, films, books, tv shows, and more, but I've also decided to upload my hobbies here as well because why not?

To the Moon: Who's cutting those Onions?

One of the couple of breathtaking moments in this game, I really like how the stars turned out.

To the Moon is essentially the living embodiment of chopped onions. A somber tale about fulfilling a man's dying wish artificially through editing his memories, To the Moon presents a sort of futuristic It's a Wonderful Life, and it has the same heart. The only problem is the man who's memories your delving doesn't remember why exactly his dream is to go to the title, and it's your job to figure out why that is. There is also some reflection of the dubious morality of such a service, though a lot of that is in play in the background of the 'minisodes' that come free with the game. Have no fear if you don't like sad stories, it's all good in the end, though you will probably ugly-cry (I was close, not going to lie). In addition, there's a good deal of humor mixed in, ranging from situational to meta. Gameplay is just moving around and hunting for clues (some of these are pretty obscure), pretty rudimentary stuff, and obviously isn't the focus of this game. The music in this is absolutely gut-wrenching, fantastic stuff. This has been sitting in my library for a while, and I regret not playing it earlier. The graphics are basically the same pixilated JRPG visuals that we've all gotten used to over the years, and for what it's worth there's a decent bit of experimentation throughout. To the Moon is a fun and short game to play (and bawl like a baby to) for an evening or two. If you want to see more of To the Moon's concept, there's a sequel that's been out for a bit called Finding Paradise, I'll probably get to it sometime soon, I liked this short but emotional title.

The original review was written on July 7, 2019

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blackstone Fortress: Ascension

The Evil Eye

[Demo] Spark in the Dark