What's this all about?

I'm a guy with way too many interests and way too much time on my hands. A while back I realized that I spend a lot of my time just telling people I know about the various media I consume, so I just figured what the hell, let's just lay it all out. On here, you'll see my reviews of video games, films, books, tv shows, and more, but I've also decided to upload my hobbies here as well because why not?

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: Baby You're Out of Time

Despite being made in the 2010's Once Upon a Time feels like a period piece, complete with the traditional roles and attitudes.

Put simply, Quentin Tarantino's ninth film, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, really impressed me. Acting as both an exploration of the changing face of Hollywood and of the Manson Family Cult, Once Upon a Time actively rewards repeat viewings and those that know the events beforehand (like I did, thanks AP English 11!). Beyond that however, is also a very well-crafted film behind the scenes as well, showing great uses of lighting, editing, sets, camera work, and pretty much every other aspect.

In a bizarre and very tense scene, life imitates art and Cliff finally finds himself the cowboy he always played second fiddle to.

First off, this is a very slow-paced film by modern filmmaking standards, reportedly telling the story of an actor and his stuntman's experience in 1969 Hollywood. Now a criticism I heard before entering the film was that there wasn't really a story at all. I strongly disagree with this, though from the description it's an understandable position. From the get-go the flailing career and rapidly deteriorating health of Rick Dalton is an obvious focus, being what seems most likely to be the primary driver of the plot. However, I'd argue that it is his friendship with his stuntman Cliff is the actual main story being told. The two reasons for this are that A.) Rick Dalton's career evolves and develops almost entirely off-screen (and possibly doesn't really go anywhere until after the climax), and B.) He and Cliff's friendship (outside of his marriage) experience change and growth throughout the film. They initially have a somewhat transactional relationship, with Cliff being his driver and essentially a retainer (and stuntman), with Rick about to let him go due to his own poor financial choices and means. Essentially Cliff is free to do whatever he wants, until Dalton needs a ride or wants anything done. However, by the end of the film, and helped by the climax, they both have a real, or at least more genuine friendship than in the beginning, having a reason to hang out that isn't just drinking, eating, or Rick needing a ride. Also relating to the story is the title, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, which I assumed would be just a picture of an idealized or exaggerated Hollywood. However, with the twist of the film it makes the meaning of the title clear, that we're seeing an alternate Hollywood, wishful thinking, a fantasy version. I thought the twist itself was excellently executed, as the main characters actually had stakes in the climax and it gave people (like myself) who already knew how it ended a great payoff. My one complaint concerning the plot is that of Cliff when he's tripping on acid. I've never done acid before, and admittedly he is quite ripped, but would somebody have that amount of coordination while tripping? His part in the climax coupled with his drug-addled state really just made him seem like some kind of superhero. Maybe it didn't kick in yet, I don't know, but he had trouble operating a can opener, and he was very sensitive to light, so how is he able to throw things and keep track of people with pinpoint accuracy? Really it's not a big issue, just the only thing that stood out to me that I found perplexing. I'd say that this is a story for people who can stay focused, just be warned that it takes a long time for the story to fully develop.

Though constrained by social norms, Rick and Cliff's at times tender relationship was one of my favorite parts of Once Upon a Time.

Technically, the film excels in a lot of areas, and while this was only my third Tarantino film, I expected nothing else from his work. There's a lot of great camerawork and framing throughout this film, with the most obvious examples being Cliff's escapade at the film ranch and his encounter with Bruce Lee. Coupled with great camerawork was excellent editing, which further enhanced the occasionally dreamlike atmosphere of the film. The editing most noticeably succeeds in making the flashbacks feel like real flashbacks with snap cuts and floaty camerawork coupled with (relatively) subtle super powers and special effects. There also seems to be a light sepia effect given to the footage to give it an authentic sixties feeling, which was subtle enough that I didn't notice it often. Sets were also very strong, and I loved the attention to detail throughout the film, with my favorite example being that of Rick's flamethrower (a souvenir from his foray into film) actually being in his tool shed prior to its use later. I saw a few set and production photos before seeing this film and the amount of effort put into this film is phenomenal, and even better the bastards pulled it off. This is another film I'd recommend to filmmakers looking for new tricks to employ, it's really just textbook great production in every sense.

Have no fear, the film is still dripping with action, though as in life these are mostly regulated to fantasy.

I really liked this film, and I'd say the probability is high that I'd watch this a good deal more in the future. I recommend this to any lovers of great technical theatre or filmmaking, and even people wary of Tarantino's trademark violence don't have much to endure in this film, just a short sequence. For a masterpiece of suspense that rewards blind and informed viewings, go see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and make sure to watch it on the big screen while you can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blackstone Fortress: Ascension

The Evil Eye

[Demo] Spark in the Dark