What's this all about?

I'm a guy with way too many interests and way too much time on my hands. A while back I realized that I spend a lot of my time just telling people I know about the various media I consume, so I just figured what the hell, let's just lay it all out. On here, you'll see my reviews of video games, films, books, tv shows, and more, but I've also decided to upload my hobbies here as well because why not?

Spider-Man: Far From Home: Send in the Drone

So I finally got around to seeing Far From Home while I was in Brantford and in all honesty I really liked it. The MCU seems to have continued its now two movie streak of having the Spiderman films be less superhero films and more dramas with elements of romantic comedy. Seeing Homecoming in the same day with my sister,  I personally enjoyed this more, but you're not here for a comparison, you're here for my take.

He may be no working-class hero like Toomes, but Beck can still bring the same relatively small-minded menace that we saw from Vulture, and to an even greater degree this time.

Story-wise there's more of Spider-Man in this film, though that's basically because Spider-Man is a greater force in the plot, of which there are two. The first and primary plot is all about Peter's conflict with Mysterio, a man who claims to be from another, now destroyed, dimension. However, as with the Mysterio from the comics, he's not a hero (as he's introduced), he's a villain, and like the source material is an incredibly petty, vindictive, and impulsive man. It was interesting to see several throwaway scenes and lines from the early Marvel films come back, and to see that once again the legacy of Tony Stark be a mixed blessing. Like Vulture before him I enjoyed seeing Mysterio be another complex and human villain (but less so than Vulture) in the MCU, seeing how not just a desire to provide, but also something as basic as spite and a grudge can make an entertaining villain. The secondary plot (though I think these are of equal weight to the film) revolves around Peter's quest to win the heart of MJ, in all it's awkward, tense, and heartwarming glory. It's prime teen romcom material, and Ned does wonders as Peter's overly enthusiastic partner. It was interesting to see that though it served as the 'break plot' from the primary plot initially, both plots saw time as the high-stakes plot and as a break plot, because romance isn't all sunshine and roses. We can also see hints of other side plots occurring throughout the film outside of the main cast happening in the background and foreground, and it was an interesting choice to focus so much on Flash Thomson, which I noticed the most. Really everybody in Peter's life got at least some sort of development/moment in the film, and were all pretty darn funny to boot.

Some of the visuals put on display throughout are truly out of this world, if you get my meaning.

In the first plot it was interesting to see the increasing complexity and limits of modern special effects be at least somewhat touched upon (especially as it's a growing source for criticism from certain circles, and thus it's pretty ironic that the effects shown throughout this film are pretty freaking stellar throughout. If you were a fan of the trippy out-of-body scenes in Doctor Strange, you'll really like certain scenes in Far From Home, which seem straight out of a comic book. However, apart from the cgi in this film I didn't really notice anything technical that I found to be notable, though there are several instances of effective snap cuts throughout. Like pretty much all of the phase 3 Marvel films it's pretty, but nothing revolutionary.

There are quite a few Spidey suits in this outing, but each and every one of them are quite distinct.

Really, at the end of the day, what more can be said for this movie than it's a great comic book movie, another fun watch. It's a step up and continuation from Homecoming in that Far From Home is a Peter Parker/Spider-Man movie, whereas Homecoming was mostly the former's movie, though this also extends to several other areas detailed above. This is a good film to end Phase 3 on and I'd say it is well worth a watch, not one to skip before the next film in the franchise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blackstone Fortress: Ascension

The Evil Eye

[Demo] Spark in the Dark